I mentioned earlier this week that I’d made an absolutely awesome chicken stir fry for dinner the other night. I also made some terrific fried rice. (you can check out that post if you want the fried rice recipe)
I promised, at the time, that I’d share the recipe for the stir fry, so here it is!
I filled mine with all sorts of yummy vegetables. You can use some liberties here – use what you have, or what you find at the grocery store.
I put broccoli, carrots, garlic, Napa cabbage, onion and bell peppers in ours.
Next time, I’ll probably add some water chestnuts, bok choy and maybe some bamboo shoots. I just didn’t have any this time. You could also add some snow peas, shredded cabbage… the possibilities are endless.
The girls break out in hives when they see that many vegetables on a plate, so they ran for cover and opted for the fried rice with chicken only, pleaseandthankyouverymuch. But, they ate their entire dinners and there were “secret” veggies hidden in the fried rice so I didn’t worry too much.
SuperMan and I thoroughly enjoyed the stir fry, however. And we enjoyed the leftovers for lunch the next day, too. So good.
Give this a try sometime you have a craving for some “Chinese” food. I think it is so much better than the takeout you get. (and cheaper!)
Chicken Fried Rice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 pound chicken, cut in bite-sized cubes
1 tsp dried ginger
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1-2 cups broccoli florets
1-2 cups Napa cabbage, julienned
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup carrot, julienned & diced finely
(any other veggies you want to add)
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- In a large wok or sauté pan, heat sesame oil (about 1-2 Tbsp).
- Sauté chicken until cooked; 7-8 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, carrots, onion & pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables. Cook, stirring frequently. Veggies should be crisp, yet tender.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the vegetables & chicken. Stir to coat everything thoroughly and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve over fried rice or steamed rice.
- Chicken Fried Rice (thoughtsalonglifeshighway.com)