Oh, I’m so thankful it’s Friday! It has been an interesting week. Even though it was a short work-week, it’s been packed full. Today the girls both have sleepovers – one here, one away – and SuperMan is working overtime, so the craziness continues.
I’m taking the afternoon off, though, so I plan to get in some quality scrapbooking and pool time for sure.
I am enjoying summertime so much this year… which is very different from years past. I used to think of summer as something to endure – endure the heat, endure the bugs, etc. Now, I’m relishing summer and all the unique things it has to offer.
I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite things about summer today ~ and maybe you can do the same in the comments?
So, here’s my
Five on Friday:
- Fresh, sweet corn – cooked on the grill to enhance the sweetness – slathered in butter and sprinkled with salt. I would eat this every single day in the summer if I could (and I usually do!) It’s one of those things I find myself reminiscing about on the cold winter nights when we’re eating frozen (or canned, blech) vegetables because there is no fresh corn in sight.
- The sound of the tree frogs and crickets as they sing me to sleep at night. This is the quintessential sound of summer to me. The first time I hear the frogs, is when I know it is truly summer. Some nights, I leave my bedroom porch door open just a little so that I can hear the frogs in the pond outside our room as they sing to their lady friends.
- All the fresh, local fruit you can eat – watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, nectarines, berries, plums, the list goes on and on. It’s a virtual smorgasbord for me. And since I’m not doing sugar these days, the sweetness of the fruit satisfies my sweet tooth in a healthy and acceptable way.
- “Sleeping in” – or, more accurately, not having to get up in the dark to get going for the day. I love allowing my body to reset itself back to it’s natural sleep patterns… which, for me, means staying up a little later and sleeping a little later in the mornings. I relish waking up without the alarm clock and I’m dreading August 11th when the girls go back to school and we’re up before the sun again.
- Lazy days spent at the pool or the beach – although we haven’t made it to the beach yet this year, we’re enjoying our neighborhood pool. It’s nice to unwind at the end of the day with a dip in the pool and to just let your body relax and swirl around in the cool water. It’s even more fun when spent with friends. 🙂
What are YOUR five favorite things about summertime?
Share them in the comments below – or if you want to include them in your own blog post, include a link in the comments below!