Wow. What a couple of weeks I’ve had!
To say it has been hectic seems a bit like an understatement.
I finally got everyone healthy in my house (thank goodness) and just in time, it seems… because my work project (the giganotosaurus that it is) has pretty much taken over every single waking (and dreaming) hour of my life.
It’s all OK, though. It is an incredible project and while it is stressing me out to no end, it is also incredibly challenging, stimulating and exciting. I wouldn’t have it any other way, actually.
I just have to survive it.
The menu plans have sort of gone out the window the past two weeks. I’ve kind of had a plan, sort of, but not really. When Mom was here we ate out (a lot) as we usually do. It was a nice treat to get a break from cooking and that steak I had at Outback the other night was SO good.
Other than that, I have been scouting the freezer and cooking based on what I had available that could either be cooked quickly or cooked in the crock pot.
I’ve also been trying to only purchase meats that are on sale at the store – and then cook either with those sale meats or what is in the freezer. If I don’t use the sale meats they go in the freezer for another week. No more buying meats if they are not on sale, not unless it is a special occasion.
I can’t believe how much money this is saving me. Amazing. I wish I’d done this a long time ago. So obvious and yet I never thought to do it until my friend Beth mentioned it.
This week, I’m trying to get back in the routine. I really need the menu plan for my own sanity. I need to know what I’m going to cook so that it is one less thing I have to figure out at the end of a busy day. know what I mean?
So, here is what I have planned this week (I think)
- Monday: Spaghetti & garlic bread. (I made the sauce on Saturday. Easy.)
- Tuesday: Crock pot rotisserie chicken, saffron rice & veggies (the whole chicken roasters were on sale last week)
- Wednesday: Shepherd’s pie (the girls have been asking for this for two weeks)
- Thursday: Grilled chicken & roasted veggies (It’s supposed to be close to 70 here Thursday. I’m ready to get back to grilling some food!)
- Friday: Salmon Croquettes & Grits
- Saturday: Mexican or Pizza
- Sunday: mom’s day off (eat out for lunch)
I’m also considering making either a Sunshine Cake or Apple Cake this week – haven’t decided which one yet. And (if I have time) maybe some homemade bread – I want to make some homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
The girls would rather have homemade goodies in their lunchboxes (instead of Little Debbie – who is going to argue with that?!?) so I try to make something every week. I just haven’t had time the past few weeks. They deserve some Momma-lovin-goodies, I think.
Need More Ideas?
You can find more yummy recipes on orgjunkie.com where you can find some great recipes and menu plans.
Hope you have a good week!
I’ll be back tomorrow with some updates to my Project Life pages and then later this week I’ll be sharing an update on what I’ve been reading lately.
- Menu Plan Monday ~ 27 February (thoughtsalonglifeshighway.com)
- Menu Plan Monday 2.6.12 (thoughtsalonglifeshighway.com)
- Comfort food (thoughtsalonglifeshighway.com)