There are several scrapping ladies around the world (many, I’m sure) who have adopted a tradition of coming up with their “one word” for the year. I am not sure if Ali Edwards started this or if she got it from somewhere else. (I know that is where I first heard of it)
I’ve been interested in the concept in years past, but have never signed up to choose a word and then track how I lived to that word for the year. Seemed like too much work for me.
Last year, around this time, I started to think yet again about the One Little Word project and what my word for 2010 would be. It came to me immediately.
I wanted 2010 to be the year I focused on taking care of me. On making choices that would help me to be healthier and happier. On not letting myself get put last on the list of people to care for. I wanted to focus on me.
And, well, now that we’re at the end of 2010 (give or take a few weeks) I am looking back and I think the choice of word is maybe not the right one.
Looking back now, I think maybe the word I would choose for 2010 would be
or maybe even
That’s what 2010 has been for me.
After the surgery in February a lot has changed in my life. But rather than it all being about me, it’s been more like I’ve been coming out of a cocoon and rediscovering my life.
- I’ve been reawakened to the things that matter most in my life – and the things that don’t.
- I’ve learned to carefully select how I spend my time and with whom I spend it.
- I’ve learned that it really does matter if I eat or drink something that is not good for me.
- I’ve learned that the quality of the time I spend with those I love is really more important than anything else.
- I’ve learned what’s really important to me and what’s not so important anymore.
I’m also learning to love myself again. To invest in myself. And that includes making good choices about eating and sleep, hobbies and friends, saying yes and saying no.
so, rather than 2010 being the year of me it’s been the year of rediscovery.
What has your 2010 been? How would you sum it up in a word?